Do you want to learn and get paid to read books?
Did you know you could get paid to read books? You can get paid for something you enjoy doing every day.
This could be a great opportunity to make some extra cash if you are a late-night reader who enjoys finishing up the last chapters of a book.
Many people are unaware that there are legitimate websites offering to pay you for your time reading aloud. You can also be paid to review books.
These are real jobs in the industry.
Many of these companies offer remote work options, making it a flexible way for you to earn extra income.
Can I make a living reading book? Yes!
There are many ways that you can make money reading books, no matter what your interests.
You can earn money to read any type of book, no matter what genre it is, including romance, horror, fiction, nonfiction, or another.
This job sounds almost too good to be true. That is why I wrote an entire article about it.
This article will show you how to get paid to read books. There are legitimate websites that pay you to read books. It will also answer any questions you might have about this topic.
7 Legitimate Ways To Get Paid To Read Books
1. Earn money reviewing books online
There are many websites that pay you to review books. Every site is different, but most pay cash via PayPal or bank transfer. You may also receive a book for free.
These websites don’t just want positive reviews. They want to know what you really think!
If you are interested in book reviews, here are some websites that you can check out:
- Online Book Club – With OnlineBookClub.org you only get paid for a book and no cash. You will still be eligible for book reviews, and all books after that will be paid. You can earn anywhere from $5 to $60 per book you review through this website.
- Kirkus Media is seeking book reviewers for English and Spanish-language books. You will need to write reviews of about 350 words and submit them two weeks after being assigned to read the book.
- UpWork You will need to create a profile on UpWork and list yourself as a book critic. Clients and authors will be able to find you on UpWork and hire you to review their books. You can also set your own prices and choose which clients to work with as a freelance book critic on UpWork.
- The US Review of Books This website employs freelance writers to review books and to write reviews that are between 250-300 words in length. They’re looking for summaries of reviews that provide insight into the book.
- Reedsy– You can review hundreds of books before they become published, and make money with Reedsy. Reedsy is a platform where authors submit books for review by book reviewers. Readers (those who purchase a book) then tip you for the review. These tips could be as low as $1, $3, or $5.
- Booklist is seeking freelance book reviews of between 150 and 175 words that explain the plot and suggest the ideal audience. Booklist pays $15 per book review and you get paid when the review is published.
- BookBrowse You can apply on BookBrowse to be a book critic. You might be paid to read fiction and nonfiction books for young adults.
- Women’s Review of Books The Women’s Review of Books, Wellesley Centers for Women, is a print publication that offers a way for women to review books.
A book reviewer can be a great way to get paid to read books.
While some of these ideas may be easy to apply for you may need a resume or a book review sample. Click on the links to learn more about the company and its operations.
There are many other websites that offer paid or free books for review, but these are the ones I found most useful.
2. Be a book editor
You get paid to proofread books that are not yet published.
Proofreading is an essential step in publishing. It corrects grammar, punctuation, and spelling mistakes. Proofreaders are always needed, no matter how talented an author is.
You can also find proofreading jobs available for authors who self-publish books as well as large book publishers.
Online proofreading jobs are in high demand. It’s a flexible, detail-oriented work-from-home position that allows for flexibility and can be done remotely. You will need a tablet or laptop, an internet connection, and the ability to spot errors.
A proofreader is an excellent option for someone who loves to spot errors.
I spoke with a professional proofreader to learn more about the requirements of becoming a proofreader. She answered questions such as:
- What is a proofreader?
- What is the monthly income of proofreaders?
- How can I start proofreading jobs?
3. Audiobooks can be read aloud
You can earn money reading books by being a voice-over actress.
If you enjoy reading books, you could actually be paid to read them aloud!
Audiobooks are very popular, and it can be fun to become a narrator.
Voice-over actors are the people you hear, but seldom see, in audiobooks, YouTube videos and radio ads, explainer videos, corporate narration, corporate narration, documentaries, or TV commercials.
Someone, quit her job as a salaried secretary to become a full-time voice-over actress in 2014. People keep asking her, how she got started and how they can do it too.
She created an online course for six weeks and it was a huge success. Before the class was over, many of her students had booked voice acting roles!
I was eager to find out more about this job from home, so I interviewed Carrie:
- How she found this fascinating career path
- These are her most popular clients
- What is the average salary of a voice-over actor starting out?
- There are many benefits to being a voice-over actor
- How to find your first voice-over gig
- Costs and more
4. Start a book review blog
A book review blog allows you to review books of interest or that relate to your topic.
You can make money by placing affiliate links on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and other websites for the books that you are reading. Bloggers may post their thoughts on books, have online discussions or help readers with various topics.
Affiliate marketing is my favorite way to make money from blogging if you don’t know what it is.
Here are the basics of affiliate marketing:
- Affiliates are individuals or businesses that are paid to promote products or services.
- Affiliates are granted special links that you can use to promote products for companies. Companies can track the source of each sale with these links.
- You then place the links on your website or social media accounts. In the hope that someone will purchase something from your link.
- Your unique affiliate link allows you to earn a commission when someone makes a purchase.
The Amazon affiliate program is a great example of this. It is ideal if you are looking to create a book blog. Amazon offers you unique links. You can link to a book on your blog or website and encourage people to buy the book using your affiliate link.
Amazon and other companies are looking for quality affiliates to help them promote their products and services. The company will pay you for sharing your link if you convince someone to buy a book using your link.
If you are looking for something flexible that will pay well over time, a book review blog is a great way of getting paid to read books.
You’ll also be your boss, as you can choose which books to read.
Here is a brief overview of what you’ll learn:
- Day 1: Why you should start your blog
- Day 2: How do you decide what topic to blog about?
- Day 3: How you can create your blog (in today’s lesson, we will show you how to set up a WordPress blog – my tutorial makes it easy to start one).
- Day 4: How to make money with blogging
- Day 5: My tips to make passive income through blogging (including affiliate income!)
- Day 6: How you can grow your traffic and followers
- Day 7: Miscellaneous tips for blogging that will help make you a success
5. Translate books and get paid
Do you speak another language fluently? You might be able to find a job that allows you to translate books into other languages and read them.
If you are fluent in another language, you might also be able to get paid to proofread and edit translated books.
You can find many places where you can book translation jobs.
- UpWork You simply need to create an account and apply for jobs. Then you will be paid. Although UpWork charges a fee to invoice clients, it’s free to sign up.
- Babelcube– Babelcube sends you freelance translation projects. Select the books that you wish to translate and then choose from more than 15 languages. You can also partner with published authors.
- Guru is a website that lists translation and freelance writing jobs. This site focuses on freelancers with high skills.
- Indeed is a job listing website that has been in existence since 2004. Indeed lists job openings they find through job boards, staffing agencies, company websites, and other sources.
- FlexJobs FlexJobs is one of the most used websites for finding remote jobs and work-from-home opportunities. FlexJobs is expensive, but you can sort jobs and find them quickly, so it may be worth it.
- Today Translations is a website looking for freelance translators.
- Fiverr is an online marketplace that allows you to find freelance jobs around the globe. This platform allows you to list and price your translation services.
- Ulatus is a website offering translation services. They need translators! Over 200,000 people use their services worldwide, and they have more than 3000 language specialists.
- Create your own website. I love having my own website to help clients find me.
You can see that there are many options for making money by translating books.
6. Write books and get paid
I also wanted to add a section about how to make money writing books. Writing a book might be something you are interested in if you like reading.
Technically speaking, this means that you’d be reading your book multiple times.
It’s a great way for you to make money from home by writing your own book.
Romance novels are very popular and you can get paid to do so.
Yuwanda Black, my friend, has found one of the most exciting stay-at-home jobs. She wrote romance novels and made over $3,000 in just one month!
I was able for her to write an article about her interesting method of making money at home for Making Sense of Cents. You’ll find the following information in the article
She has made a lot of money writing romance novels
- These are her top tips for writing romance novels that succeed
- Your romance novels don’t have to be as long as your imagination would suggest (in fact, some of her most popular romance books are less than 10,000 words).
- How to sell romance books on Amazon
7. You can find a job in the publishing industry
If you are interested in learning how to make money reading books, there are many other jobs available in the publishing industry.
These careers require you to be able to read and comprehend the text in order to perform your job. Most of these jobs require at least a bachelor’s degree.
These jobs are usually full-time, such as:
- Book Marketing Assistant
- Book Publicist
- Book Public Relations Agent
- Book Layout Designer
- Book Graphic Designer
- Book Editor
- Copy Editor
- Literary Agent
- Sales Representative
- Production Manager
- Marketing Manager
- Book Contract Manager
I recommend Publisher’s Weekly if you’re looking to find job opportunities in the publishing industry.
Are you able to get paid to read aloud books? Do you have a job that pays to read books?
Yes, it is possible to get paid to read out loud. ACX by Amazon/Audible will pay you to narrate audiobooks so that they can be made into audiobooks.
What do book readers earn?
Book readers can earn varying amounts. It all depends on the type of book-reading job you are looking for and how much time you spend on each job.
A full-time job in the industry could include being a proofreader or voice-over actor for audiobooks. You can also start a book review blog, translate books, write books and find a career in this field.
Reviewing a book can earn you $5, but it could get you hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars. It all depends on your work.
Are you able to make a living by reading books?
You can earn a living by reading books. However, not all book-reading jobs are full-time.
Others may request that you only read and review a book, while others might ask for a resume and writing samples.
Amazon pays you to read books?
ACX currently has more than 1,200 books available for auditions.
ACX allows you to get paid in two ways for audiobook narration.
- You set a per-hour rate and are paid when the audiobook has been completed.
- You have the option to split royalties from book sales with the holder of the rights.
You can get started with ACX by simply:
- Make a profile
- Upload audio samples of your voice
- You can choose how you want to be paid (as explained above).
- Audition for the book that you are interested in reading (this typically includes recording a few seconds of the manuscript).
- Accept the offer. You will then decide on delivery dates, payment terms, and other details.
- Recording the audiobook should be completed in two steps.
- Get paid
Can I watch books on YouTube?
Yes! YouTube can be used to make money in a similar way as blogging. You could also share affiliate links to books that you have read on YouTube.
After your videos and channel reach a certain amount of views, you can start monetizing with advertisements.
This article will show you how to make money by reading books. This article was enjoyable to create because there are many ways book lovers can get paid to do something they love.
You’ve learned that there are many ways to make money with books.
You can review books, read them aloud and sell books online. Translating books is another option.
Would you like to learn how to make money by reading books?